Friday, August 13, 2010

We have a woman that comes by to sweep our leaves about twice a week. Her name is Estrella. Her husband's name is Carlos. He is suppose to come by and cut our little patch. We are trying to wait on him, but already three other people have asked to cut it. Estrella and Carlos have five children. There middle child, Elizebeth, is five and the size of Joelle. She helps her mama sweep the leaves.

They came on Wednessday and I took Joelle out to try and play with Elizebeth. The little girl wasn't so sure about me at first. I can't imagine at what she was thinking about this crazy lady that barely knows Spanish and speaks some weird words, but she did warm up. Her mom has asked for clothes for her kids. (At least that is what I am guessing through my poor Spanish and someone else that talked to her last Saturday for us.) This is God continueing to stretch me. As you know we have already widdled down our things. I gave her one dress of Joelle's that she doesn't really like because it's green, not pink. I have to go through the kids clothes to give her some more when she comes Saturday. The kids just got there school uniforms so I was even thinking we don't need as much clothes as I brought.

It's hard to know who to help because everyone can find you something to help them with. But for us as the "rich" we are told to give to those who have needs (Mt. 25:31-46).

Matthew 25:31-46

31"When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his throne in heavenly glory. 32All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.

34"Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'

37"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'

40"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

41"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.'
44"They also will answer, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?'

45"He will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.'

46"Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life."

(Brian) This is really the daily dilemna we are faced with here. The rich are just like the US, but the poor are truly poor. Poverty we really don't understand in the States. Even while I worked in one of the poorest communities in Chicago and saw their desperation, they still had the assurance that their government check was coming. The poor have no such assurance here. They desperately want to cut our grass and sweep our walk for 40 pesos (about $3.30) and we, desiring to give Joelle a good birthday spend many times that for a party. How as Christians are we to deal with this inequality. Joy and I desire to do better, but have a ways to go. I have said it before, but if any of you get a chance to read "Rich Christians in an Age of Hunger", please do. I have read it about 4 times in the last 12 years and am currently doing so. It will challenge you, as it has me, to the very core. God desires more of me, I think of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment