Saturday, August 14, 2010

The Other Side of History

In preparation for coming, I bought a 700 page volume of Mexican History. I assumed I would read it over the time I was here to get a better understanding of the country and the people we now lived among. I finished it on Wednesday. It was absolutely fascinating and really helped me understand why my eyes see what they see here.

The purpose of this blog is not to bore you with names you don't know, but to comment on what we do know. Not only did I learn a great deal about Mexico, but a great deal about the US. We have all read the about the Mexican American war and the historic stand of the Alamo. That is all we get in current textbooks. Their textbooks gave me more, after taking back Texas the US invaded Mexico all the way to Mexico city. On the way, we seiged Veracruz and killed about 1500 civilians. About 50 years later in the early 1900's. They invaded Mexico via Veracruz again, this time because they did not like how the US oil companies were being treated in Mexico. There are more instances as well, but you start to come to realize why many countries view us with disdain.

Some of this is understandable as the government of every country has the first job of defending its people. When though do we start to take note as Christians about injustice? I love my country and when asked today at school I said so, but being here I understand why some dislike us. As I read about instance after instance of our intervention in Mexico on the behalf of our corporations who were treating Mexicans like slaves I was saddened. The US I love, the one of democracy, opportunity, and freedom, put money ahead of humanity. When I talked to Mexicans about this they were happy to tell me about some of what the US has done. Every country has the task of defending its own needs as I stated, but where do we have to draw the line as citizens of heaven as well?

3 comments:

  1. I completely understand. One of the reasons I LOVE to go to other countries is because of the reminder that we are not the end all and be all here in America. As I strive to fit into another cultare and not be an annoying, loud, rude American I am reminded of who I really belong to. God is ulmately our king. While I love my home culture I also know that God loves them and their culture just as much as mine. Really makes you think.i

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, getting a global view truly changes your view of the usa. just being in the ghetto has changed my view. i can only imagine! our 1st calling is to heaven and usa nor any country (barring Isreal) are "christian". ppl in it are. one problem seems to be that americans claim to be and are viewed as christians and even those that are christians make our politics more important than christianity or at the same level of furvor. anyway, that's my 2 cents. trying to get a global mindset along with you! so cool to hear all God is teaching you all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think whenever you get out of your comfort- zone it has a way of stretching you!

    ReplyDelete