Sunday, August 8, 2010

The First Sunday!

Today was our first experience with church in our new home. After enjoying our home church so much we knew this would be a difficult part of the transition as nothing is quite like home. I really felt this morning that God had a way of comforting us. The first song the church sang was "O dia feliz" or "Oh Happy Day" a song we sing at Traders Pointe as well. They ended with "I am Free" or "Yo libre soy" The only difference was when they say that "I am free to dance" they act literally on it! Singing these familiar songs in Spanish again reminded me how worship flows from my heart not my words. The words may change, but the song of the heart remained the same. For enjoyment I switched each chorus from English to Spanish. For those who wanted a better picture of this church it reminded Joy and I of a Vineyard church. It was in a converted warehouse with about 300 people we guessed.

The sermon was also a confirmation of how truth transcends cultures. I think as bible college trained American I tend to think I have a deep understanding of the Word. Just two days ago, I read through Luke 13 and I was struggling to fully grasp the parable. The Pastor did a great job unpacking the meaning (I was listening through headphones with a translator). I felt like the whole experience was God assuring me that both the worship and teaching that I treasured at home He could provide here as well. It was a great first Sunday!

The kids also loved Sunday School as there were a couple of children who spoke English in their classes and helped them with the Spanish Bible Lessons.

No comments:

Post a Comment