Sunday, August 22, 2010

Not So Far From Home

Today the pastor at our new church started his message by saying that this is not the Mexico of Ricky Guzman any more. I don't know who Ricky Guzman is, but I realized in the states it would have been like an older pastor saying that it is not the USA of Leave it to Beaver any more. Even though I had no frame of reference for the individuals he was discussing, his intro made me feel very much at home. Just like I have heard 100 times in the states that today's America is much different, in a negative sense, then it used to be. So too many Mexican believers feel the same way. (Personal Note: I do assume that generations are very different, but in the same breath I believe that evil does not skip generations)

He discussed how Post Modernity has crept into the homes and TV's of believers. How it now is influencing the creation of many anti-family laws that challenge the moral values of a believer in Mexico. Laws much more extreme then that which exists in the US. He then challenged the congregations to respond in truth.

Ultimately, it made me realize that no matter where you live the world is continually challenging the testimony and the values of the Universal Church. In understanding this, I didn't feel so far away from my believing friends in the states as our fight is very much the same. As believers destined to a common eternal home we are also destined to a common earthly fight. At that point, I felt as close to home as I had in a long while.

Ephesians 6:11-12 "Put on the whole armor of God that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.

No comments:

Post a Comment