Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Random Thoughts on Life in Mexico

You know it's been a while since I've blogged, when it took me some time thinking of the website my blog is on and my password! Seeing I haven't written for a good month or longer, this is a post of random thoughts. 

Today was Mother's day in Mexico. Mother's day is always on May 10th. SEP (the Mexican government in charge of the school) called the school yesterday around noon and told them that we will only have a half day today since it's mother's day and no school on Friday for the day of the teacher. I'm starting to slowly adjust to this type of thing occurring, the up in the air if you are going to have school or not when it's a holiday of ANY type. Adjusting, but still prefer to know things with a little more advanced notice.
Speaking of adjusting David and I both called something "ugly" today that a normal English speaker wouldn't use to describe, but is how you would describe something in Spanish.  Like when something tastes bad it could be called ugly.  Something's happening in our brain.  Unfortunately I wish it would be happening more.  My Spanish is definately better, but not even close to where I would hope to be after living in Mexico for almost 10 months. 

For El Dia de las Madres Brian and the kids took me to a restaurant that is usually a favorite of mine. Ended up being a comical dinner! Wrong drink, wrong order then the right drink with horchata that wasn't strained properly. It was very grainy.  On and on. What made it so funny is everyone’s order they managed to do right, but mine. An older lady was our waitress (we've never had her before). She just about freaked out at the sight of these Gringos. She panicked before we even began to order and quickly handed us off to someone who spoke English (even though we still spoke Spanish to him.) We have learned that being patient and having good listening skills go a long way in communicating with other people who might not share the same first language as us.  It kind of made me feel like, “is my accent really that bad!” Brian was concerned it was a flop, but it was ironically comical. It's amazing what a difference two people can make. (The missing waitress and one of their good chefs) You could really see that in the restaurant.

I've been thinking a lot of this experience of living in another country. At times I'm not sure if it has helped me become a better person or a worse one. I use to think of myself as a fairly laid back person...until I came to Mexico. I feel so intense. Maybe that's comparitive to all the people around me.  Now, I wonder what I will feel when I’m back in the USA.

Being out of my comfort zone has really enlightened me to things that I must have struggled with, but had no clue. The "normal" day in day out wasn’t enough to uncover some of the rough spots, which living in another country has. Sure I can be patient when things aren’t too bad, but when I’m tested to my limit. That’s when you realize maybe you weren’t as patient as you thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment