Saturday, May 14, 2011

A Simple Satisfaction

As I was going for a walk today, I satisfyingly realized something. I "work" here. Not as in a job or profession, but I fit. As I walk down the street, nothing is any longer foreign to me. And maybe more importantly no one locally finds me too foreign either. As I head for my walk, the women who runs the little market booth outside the Catholic Church selling tomales, ice cream, snacks, and everything else Mexican nods and waves to me. I then exchange pleasantries with the waiters at the local taco joint (I have eaten a lot of tacos here!) and continue my walk. As I continue on down to my destination (Starbucks) I often receive a smattering of nods from shop owners who recognize me from regular visits. For the most part no one, with the possible exception of an occassional walker I don't know, looks at me with alien wonder any longer. The street workers and various garderners know me enough to offer a cordial "Buenas Tardes" as I walk by. As I walk back from Starbucks I stop at the market to pick up some avocados (new favorite food) and zuchini and several of the people selling their produce make friendly eye contact.

Today, this experience, created a very simple satisfaction. I "fit" here. While I don't call myself a Spanish speaker at this point, in this community I live my life in Spanish and am accepted as such. I order my vegetables, my iced green tea, and my paper towel in Spanish, respond to their questions and even know enough to tell them they gave me the wrong green tea (I always feel horrible when a mistake is made because I do assume it is my fault and I say so). None of the workers at these various places are scared to talk to me in Spanish because they know that I will pick up enough to get their meaning. If not, I will look confused, ask a question, and we will move on with our business transaction.

My walk full of bags and small conversations will end an hour or so later. I have just very much lived like a local.

Its not the satisfaction of transitioning from New York to Memphis or Indianapolis to LA. (No doubt very different in their own rights) but rather becoming part of a whole new world. Becoming just another peice that fits in a foreign culture. And while I will never be "Mexican" and at least while here my Spanish will never be strong enough to engage these people at great depths. To some extent, I know them and they know me. We are neighbors and I have a very normal place in their world. That is very satisfying.

No comments:

Post a Comment