Friday, April 29, 2011

Cultural Toxins

I have been thinking quite a bit recently about cultural toxins. Until the last week or so this was an idea that I had never really thought about. As we are just 2 months from finishing our stint here in Mexico, you think about a lot of things. First, you try to remember the person you were when you first arrived. You think a lot about the changes that have taken place in you through the experience. You wonder how much you've changed and if that change is going to be drastically noticeable when this experience is over. You think about the things that have changed you. You think about how this is different then that and why simply a different set of circumstances can change a person.

This last statement is the one I have been mulling over the last day or two. Why should a different set of circumstances change a person. More specifically, why should another culture (country) change a person. I think their are several answers for that, but the idea that keeps popping into my head is cultural toxins. Every culture is full of them. Mexico has them, the US has them, and I dare venture to say that every country has their own toxins.

What I mean by cultural toxins as a Christian is external cultural norms, practices, pressures, expectations, and vodoo that pervade your life within a culture and come into conflict with Scripture. Now, I am not labeling everything in a culture a toxin, just the opposite some cultural practices can be elixirs for the soul (ex moving from a task oriented culture, US, to a people centered culture, Mexico,). These things actually help you recalculate proper perspectives. These things always come into alignment with the teaching of Christ to a believer. These things can drive out poison that has long built up in a life.

When I personally think of the changes I have undergone, I think of them as cultural toxins that have been driven out of my soul. Now as a believer the challenge to us always is to have the same mind and attitude as Christ, to reject the wickedness of the world, and to be a light of the truth. Regretfully, known to us or not, we often let cultural toxins invade our souls, dim our lights, and create their own set of standards on our life. Before we know it, we look like the culture around us and very little like Christ. This can and does happen in every culture. Remaining pure from the toxins can only be done through vigorous communion with God and fellowship with other beleivers. Some Christians do a better job cleansing the toxins and some give in to full on cultural poisoning. I don't know where I was when I left, but I realize now that I definitely had my share of toxic buildup!

Either way, for me, it has been nice to sweat out some of the toxins I acquired in the States (of course I often wonder what toxins I have acquired here, time will tell). Returning almost feels like a clean slate a new start. Of course with the excitement of the new start is the reminder that the old toxins will be there to greet me. That is the challenge of returning I look upon as a believer, knowing the challenges I face and trying to avoid "being corrupted by the world". The confidence that I carry (as does every believer), is that we have a willing advocate who dares travel with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment