Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Tough Questions

In my eighth grade Bible class we are memorizing Proverbs 3 this year. Our verses for this week is Proverbs 3:9-10. As I have gotten to know these kids I have seen in many of them a tremendous desire for wealth. I decided to pause and really talk about it with them. Proverbs 3:9-10 (NIV) "Honor the Lord with your wealth, with the firstfruits of all your crops; then your barns will be filled to overflowing, and your vats will brim over with new wine." We have been talking about being a fan of Jesus verses a true follower of Jesus the last few weeks. Being a true follower of Jesus is allowing God every aspect of our lives because you realize what He has done for you. We don't just give God Sunday or Bible class, but he wants all of us, including our wallet. Giving our first and best to God can be a symbol that we trust God in the area of our money.

I challenged them with a couple of questions, that I think challenged me more than it did them. (Especially when they were super-hyper that day after a flad ceremony!)

I asked, "If God asked you to be poor when you got older would you be able to follow Him then? Why or Why not? What would be the most difficult part of that request?" and "Name something that gets in the way of Jesus being first in your life?" They were suppose to write the answers down on a card without a name. Of course a student asked me, what my answers were, but the bell rang and class was over. I honestly struggled with my answer. I think I would ask the question back, "How poor? Poor where?" I would struggle. Our house here is small and I have struggled here feeling no peace.

I also asked myself, "what get's in my way of me keeping Jesus centered and focused in my life?" I knew that answer right away, safety and comfort. I want my family and I to be safe. Nothing wrong with that unless it get's in the way of doing something that God would have me to do. So far I don't think it has. Unfortunately comfort can and at times has taken center place. I really desire to be comfortable. I like a comfortable and peaceful house. I would wear comfortable clothes over fashionable ones. I don't like getting outside of my comfort zone and feeling uncomfortable. I really hate going to a party or anywhere where I know no one! Here I am constantly being stretched and forced to go beyond what I am comfortable with. Whether that is in my thinking, language, culture, house, whatever. Sometimes I force myself to embrace being uncomfortable. I need to grow and I am here for a reason. If we are going to be used by God then we are going to have to be uncomfortable sometime. Then other times I resist it "kicking and screaming". I have a bad attitude about being stretched too far. I try whatever I can to get comfortable agian. I don't do things I should because of the work it might take. I choose comfort over doing what God would desire me to do.

I was listening to sermons from our church back in Indiana. The pastor used this example of a string that he had someone stretch all the way down the aisle and out the door. The string represented eternity and on it was a tiny flag that represtented our life. Whatever we have to face in this life is so short to the comparison of eternity. I put it this way to my students. We could spend all this time trying to be comfortable in this life, collecting wealth, living for ourselves, and rejecting God, but then forever being punished in eternity. Or option number two we could believe Jesus and show that through our actions. We might face trials, strugles, and uncomfort in this life, Jesus never said it would be easy, but then we will be rewarded for it for eternity. In 6th grade they are memorizing Matthew 5:10-12 this week that I felt it fit really well with these ideas. "Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you."

Sometimes I get so wrapped up in my immediate comfort and enjoyment I forget that this life is so short. I get distracted by things that are really insignificant compared to what I should be focusing on.

I guess that leaves me with a challenge for you to answer the same questions, but I warn you they might be dificult to answer.

"If God asked you to be poor when you got older would you be able to follow Him then? Why or Why not? What would be the most difficult part of that request?" and "Name something that gets in the way of Jesus being first in your life?"

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you. Safety & comfort are the 2 biggest distractions of living sold out to Christ for me! I have a huge heart for the inner city and always have...Shane and I met at the Brookside Youth Program. I always wanted to take a leap of faith and move there but "LIFE" got in the way...and know we have kids and I start thinking about what's best for them...good home, friends, school. But that community is always in the back of my mind. A part of me is jealous of you for trusting God so much. But how would I know what's best if I don't trust Him with my life and MY KIDS' LIVES. Pray for us!
    We miss & love you guys & are praying always for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Carlie, You need to meet one of my other friends that posts on here. They are inner-city missionaries to Indianapolis! She is the Christa that post comments sometimes. Click on her and it will link to her blog. I think she would be a good connection for you to start getting involved now.

    Your kids are young now, but you will be suprised how much more you will be able to do when they get older. I would pray that if working with the inner-city, even moving there, is not what God would have you do that he would take away that desire. But if it's the steps you should take he will continue to grow that desire so you take baby steps to get there. You have definately taken some of these steps with the Christmas tree thing.

    ReplyDelete