Friday, October 1, 2010

Comforts vs Comfort

I have come to realize something over the last couple of weeks. Comforts are often robbing me of comfort. I at times am really starting see the difficulties of pulling away from comfort. Comforts once established in our lives are hard to dethrone as expectations instead of blessings. I find myself longing at times for the comforts we had in the states. My back deck, my back yard, an upstairs to tell the kids to go to when they are driving us crazy, and at times air conditioning (even though I would dare to say the weather is borderline perfect here). This is just a few of long list of little things that I find myself missing, even yearning for at times. Are any of these things bad or wrong? Of course not, but I have come to realize the difficulty of letting them go. And in trying to let them go, I realize that comforts can become substitutes for the comfort of God. As I have been reading the Bible, I am noting all the verses/promises that God gives as to His complete sufficiency for our lives. His ability to provide comforts to those who seek him, those who don't seek their own comfort and own desires. I regretfully am not this person at yet and at times find myself a long ways from this. As I think through these words at Starbucks, the temporary comforts of this world pull continually at my desires. I have been praying that I would be able to focus more on the eternal and less on the temporary. Below I am sharing some verses that are out there for all of us to take hold.

"Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will also be" Matt 6:19-21

"If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask him!" Matt 7:11

"And do not seek what you are to eat and what you are to drink, nor be worried. For all the nations of the world seek after these things, and your Father knows that you need them. Instead, seek his kingdom, and these things will be added to you." Luke 12:29-31

No comments:

Post a Comment