Monday, October 4, 2010

Fairy or Rat?


I'm suppose to wait up all night for "El Ratoncito" to come and visit our house. David had to get a tooth pulled because of a bad cavity. He wrote a note to the "Tooth Fairy", but as they have talked amongst there classmates they are discovering the Tooth Fairy looks very different here in Mexico. I'm not so sure I like how he looks because a rat is suppose to visit my house tonight. I so perfer the image of a fairy than a rat, but at least it is a little rat. I'm sure this will be an easier idea for David to grasp. He wasn't sure of the existence of fairies, but he has seen rats and he even saw one in Mexico one night about a week ago. Pehaps that was "El Ratoncito" getting teeth and giving money? Edan has asked me to stay watch all night and let him know if it was a fairy or a rat.


The other question is does the tooth fairy here read in English? David wrote his letter in English, but I questioned him whether or not the tooth fairy (or rat) would be able to read it. I thought about writing back in Spanish that the rat didn't know what it said, but I didn't. I'll leave that to the rat.


The last question is how much does the rat pay for a tooth here? I find it interesting that the boys shared many stories today that the rat gives 200 to 150 pesos to their friends! That's like $15-$10! I think that's a little high to pay for a tooth. They really know how to work it. David might be a little on the dissappointed side when he doesn't get that much. I'm sure David will reason it away that it was because he had a broken tooth or something like that and expect more next time.


Fairy or Rat he's coming to our house, to bad I'm not going to be staying up all night to see what it really is! I guess the world will never know.

3 comments:

  1. Sorry about the teeth pulling. We got your email but Shane keeps forgetting to respond. He mentioned that the dentist seemed a little shady but every dentist is different. I will try to have him respond to you soon! We love you and are praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The translation of ratoncito is "little mouse". so it suppose to be cute. We had the same cultural conflict with Nico, but in the other way... We were talking all the time about the mouse and at school about the tooth fairy... so we decided to call it tooth fairy mouse... I have pictures about his visit to our house on FB Maybe that could help David to have an idea about the mouse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gloria, You are right! It is little mouse! That's what happens when you get your translation from 6 and 7 year olds! I like the thought of a little mouse fairy better than one of those rats that use to live under our house in Chicago! I can invision a cute mouse like the one out of "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie" or "Angelina Ballerena".

    Edan the next day "If I saw what it was?" I told him I was so tired I couldn't stay up all night for it to come out." Then he said, "I think it would have waited until you left because it doesn't want us to know."

    ReplyDelete