Saturday, October 16, 2010

Mexican Roosters and Other Thoughts on the Country

Even though we don't live in the country, we wake up to what we call Mexican roosters every morning. Between 6:30 and 7:30 am on any given morning we hear between 10-20 car alarms go out in front of our house. Most people here, like most cities, have car alarms. I am not sure on this, but I assume that many people who have car alarms here can't disarm them remotely. They open their doors and for about 5-10 seconds their alarm goes off until they turn their car on. As I have watched, his tends to be the way that most people deal with car alarms. For the rest of us, this practice has pretty much gotten rid of the need for an alarm clock. We just wait for the alarms to start!

One thing I am still struggling to adjust to is the lack of turn signals used. Rarely if ever do I see someone use a turn signal. More then not, you see hands stuck out windows letting you know they are merging in. Because of the nature of traffic, merging in and out is a constant. I still have not yet got used to looking for hands and not turn signals.

One other thing that is taking time to get used to is the lack of clocks. We have both moved a bit away from technology. We often fail to carry our cell phone and neither of us have watches. We know that needs to change because you can't find a clock in Mexico. Whether a restuarant, shop, or government building. I do not believe I have ever seen a clock on a wall. On the nice side, I think it is reflective of the more laid back attitude of people. Sometimes it is frustrating, sometimes it is rather conforting.



On a different type of note, it is saddening to see the number of children during the school day out at street lights selling random items. I understand that this is part of survival for many families, but I also understand that without an education this cycle of poverty will continue within this family. I find myself continually buying things at stop lights in the desire to support so many who have so little. At first I found myself bothered by the constant street light requests, but now I look for things to purchase that I can use. I think it is one way I can use what I have to support those trying to have something.

No comments:

Post a Comment