Thursday, September 2, 2010

Thankfully I'm not on a Camel

What can I say...we have been a bit overwhelmed lately. Yesterday we had to take David to the "doctora". He ended up having an infection. We had parent night that evening. Plus all the little things like getting homework done and dinner and a few school supplies we still needed. It's amazing how much more difficult it is to do things here! I feel so helpless, daily. Something so simple before feels like a circus act now. The kids were especially tired and whinney today and I felt like I was going to snap. At times I start doubting and think, "What in the world are we doing here!" It's so far out of our comfort zone. We are constantly being stretched through language, different views, and culture.



I was about at my lowest point when I began reading Joelle a Bible story tonight for bed. It was about God calling Abraham to go to a land he promised. God would tell Abram where it was as he traveled to get there. Abraham packed up everything he owned and left for a new country. Trusting God for food, clothing, direction. Joelle and I talked and compared what was the same about our lives and Abraham's. We talked about how we went to a new country and packed up all we owned. How we didn't know what it was going to be like. How it is tough at times, just like I'm sure it was tough for Abraham. We left family and friends and our home. She did notice the difference in Abrams mode of transportation, camels, compared to our van.


I would never put myself on an equal footing with Abraham! God had choosen him for a much bigger role and purpose than anything I will do in my life! I felt like I could relate to him more now than I ever have before or probably ever will in the future. It's not easy! It's hard! I understand now why he was quick to give up his wife to another king. (Even though I'm not saying he was right doing that.) It's not easy making choices when you are unsure of customs and safety. You can easily get distracted and overwhelmed. Reading the story to Joelle encouraged me a little bit. After all it could be worse. I'm still not traveling on a camel trying to make it to my destination!

2 comments:

  1. My dad used to tell me a story about two kids that wanted to have fun. Their parents decide to put one on a room full of toys... and the other on a room with manure. After one hour... the parents when to check on them. The kid on the room full of toys was sitting on the middle of the room with a cranky face. "what is the matter?' the parents ask. "I AM BORED!" he cried... then they when to the other room... they found the kid all cover with manure an still searching for something there... "what's the matter?" the parents asked. "I cannot find the horse", said the kid.
    You my friend, are that Kid... always looking for something good in adversity. and that is one of the things that makes you so special. No offence, but Abraham surely could use some of your courage.
    Being in a foreign country is scary, intimidating and so many times frustrating (trust me, I know exactly what you are going through), but you can make it work for the best of all of you.

    Really, do not hesitate to call Gerardo. He is waiting for your call.
    Send you lots of abrazos y besos. VALOR!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is hilarious! Thanks for the encouragement! We will have to call him and meet him or have him over!

    ReplyDelete