Friday, September 10, 2010

Sometimes You Just Want to Explain Yourself!

Today, I went into a store and handed them a 50 peso bill to pay. They looked at the bill and then they looked at me. They then called over another person in the store. They looked at the bill and held it up to the light. I knew I had a problem. The lady then turned to me and said "Falso" or fake with an somewhat accusing glance. I tried to explain that I was given that bill as change, but I don't know if I really made my point. She grabbed out a pair of scissors from under the counter and handed them to me. I knew she wanted me to cut it up. So I did, I paid her with another bill and walked away embarrassed. Not knowing what they thought or even what I said in explanation. Sometimes, you need to be able to explain yourself!

On another note, I have fallen in love with Tuna Fruit. It is the fruit of a certain cactus here and it is sold everywhere, much like corn on the cob is sold everywhere in the fall in the Midwest. We buy it outside the school off of a man with a little rolling cart. I get a litre of tuna and the kids get sandia (watermelon) or pina (pineapple). We then walk home with a fork and a litre of fruit in hand. Definitely a healthier way to live! It tastes like watermelon only with a little fuller flavor and it is full of little crunchy seeds which I think just add to the taste. I have never seen it in the states before, but if you find it somewhere you have to try it. The kids love it as well, We have also started to enjoy Guyava, but we have struggled to make Mango and Papaya (also everywhere) acceptable to our palate. Mango might happen, I am holding out little hope for Papaya.

No comments:

Post a Comment