Friday, July 16, 2010

Stressed and Stretched

Okay so I have to admit I'm a little stressed. It's not that I don't believe it will all come around because I do, it's just that there seems to always be so much to do. I come to the end of the day a little exhausted and stressed. There always seems to be things that pop up to add to my list of to-dos.

This experience is already stretching me. I have been learning to let go of my many possessions. It's not been easy at times. Through this time I have often been reminded of the story of Jesus in the Bible with the Rich man. The story of the one were he tells him to go sell everything he has and give it to the poor. I think I'm similar to that rich man. The Bible says he had great wealth. While I really don't think of myself as "wealthy", as I have been getting rid of many things and there's still so much, I have realized how wealthy I am. I might be just as wealthy as or wealthier than that "rich man". After all he didn't have all the little gadgets and do-dads I do, like a washer and dryer. I'm sure even this rich man would have been impressed with my electronics and modern day things. Yet he left sad, letting go was much to hard.

In reality Jesus was saying it wasn't about what you can do to get eternal life. The rich man says "what good thing must I do". (Matt. 19:16) It really wasn't about this rich man, but about God. God understood what was separating this man from truly following him. It was his attachment to the material world and what he felt he "owned". Jesus knew how to quickly reveal people's hearts. I feel like He's revealing my own heart. Sometime I find it more difficult than it should be to let go. God is reminding me of where my treasures are and where they should be.

Brian, on the other hand, would like to put everything in black bags and drop them off at the Goodwill, no questions asked. I think God is teaching him other lessons!

No comments:

Post a Comment