Wednesday, July 14, 2010

ASK

I am learning when you move to another country how important it is to keep asking questions! Ask them to anyone who has ever lived in another country. Especially the country you plan on living. Ask the same questions over and over. One person you might ask might not know, but eventually if you keep asking, you will finally get the right answer. That’s at least what I’m hoping. There have been several very important things we would have not been prepared for our trip if it weren’t for researching and asking questions.

I have also learned the importance of following up on people. It’s always a debate of mine. Do I wait patiently for my document or do I call and check. I felt almost guilty about calling and checking in on my college for the apostille, but I am so glad I did. It’s the one apostille I can’t do on my own and am dependant on my school to do at least part of it. When I called on Monday they hadn’t even STARTED! As you can imagine I was a bit perturbed. But honestly I felt like I handled it appropriately. (I have in the past occasionally blown up on the phone when these sorts of things have happened.) I stayed calm, but was firm to let him know that we are moving, like I already told him early back in May 24th, in two weeks. Then when I got off the phone I began to cry.

Thankfully there hasn’t been a ton of kinks in the road and fortunately we can at least get in with a tourist visa. We might just be taking a trip to the border in 6 months if we don’t get these papers in time. (I’m also waiting on my kids birth certificates) I knew that moving to another country wasn’t going to be easy. It’s definitely not, but I believe that all this hard work will be worth it.

“Nothing ever comes to one, that is worth having, except as a result of hard work.”
Booker T. Washington

No comments:

Post a Comment