Friday, January 14, 2011

Living Through (Or Should I Say Walking) Contradiction

As the New Year dawned, I like half the Western world felt an increased verve to lose weight. I also made this decision because of constant back pain and knowing that weight loss could greatly help my back. One thing, I decided to bring with me was a pedometer (Step Counter). Because of pain, I can't run much or play many sports, so steps would be my exercise of choice. This is where much of this started.

Because Guadalajara has the world's best weather (Google the question if you don't believe me), every day is beautiful. I knew I needed to take advantage of this so I have focused on trying to walk everywhere. The more I walk, the more I see. One thing that I have begun to see daily ( I saw it before, but only sporadically) was the poor of Mexico picking through my trash bags every morning. I knew this was happening, but not until I began to see it everyday, and not just at my house but everywhere I walked did it really strike me. Not only did I see it daily, but I began to see what they were recovering from my trash. I briefly addressed this in my last post, but it has impacted me to an even greater level recently.

So I have been challenged by a somewhat Spiritual contradiction. I need to lose weight because of my inability to avoid the abundance of my cupboards. They also find importance in the abundance of my cupboards. Not to overindulge, but to survive daily. At moments I feel blessed, and honestly a somewhat comical thought comes to mind "Maybe I should eat half of everything so they always find enough". But then a sadness comes to mind because I have the ability to have that thought and they don't. God has a great deal to say about Christian charity to the poor in Scripture. The Bible is overflowing with the directives. What more should these directives lead me to do daily?

1 comment:

  1. I know a missionary in Ecuador that had the same problem w/ children. They would throw away extra for the kids to pick out. She said they wouldnd't except it directly from them so that was the only way to get it to them. I'm not saying I know the answer, I'm just saying what someone else did.

    ReplyDelete