Friday, December 24, 2010

Posada and Piñatas

One of the Mexican traditions Edan, Joelle and I (Joy) recently got to observe is Posada.  (David and Brian were sick)  One of the things I love about Mexico is their holidays like Easter and Christmas are still strongly rooted in the traditional Bible story.  Posada is where a neighborhood will act out Mary and Joseph needing room in the inn before Jesus is born.  You are suppose to knock at different neighbors houses that are participating and they tell you there is no room.  Then the final house that hosts the party lets you come in, but you sing a little song first about it.  Some get even more catholic and say prayers to Mary, but our coto did not.  It was a great way to start thinking about the Christmas holiday.  There was only one thing I would change, I would tweek the song, but it would definately be something that would be fun to do if we ever go back to the USA.  Afterwards you have tamales and of course you have to have a piñata. 

Our coto has parties at what they call a "terraza" our equivalent word is terrace.  It's a large outdoor covered patio, usually has a sink area and a bathroom.  It is very common here, especially since the weather is great year round.  Since we had it at the terraza two groups split one inside the terraza and one outside and they only did the asking once. 

Also I was taught the original story of the piñata coming to Mexico.  When the Catholic Priests came over from Spain they wanted to bring with them a way to convert the Native Americans here in Mexico.  I was told Saint Francis was given the credit for this.  (I tried to look it up, but couldn't find anything to back up which Saint Francis it was.)  The priests used the piñata as an illustration.  The circle part of the piñata was to represent heaven.  Then there were 7 cones sticking out of heaven representing the seven deadly sins (lust, gluttony, greed, sloth, envy, pride, and anger).  A person in his life is to take the stick and through his life try to beat off the deadliest sins.  If he is successful enough the rewards of heaven will break open and be his.  This obviously has been very successful in Mexico seeing the majority of Mexicans are Catholic and have a very similar theology.  

 
I would like to make a note: On my own there is no way I would ever be able to get the rewards of heaven. I could fight all I want, but all I really would be is what is left of the piñata.  You know, the ugly beaten up, falling apart pieces.  Romans 3:20 "No one will be declared righteous in God's sight by the works of the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of our sin."  James 2:10 says I'm guilty of breaking the law.  Not only did I break God's law, but I was enslaved by sin according to Titus 3:3-8 and Ephesians 2:1-10.  But that's when God's mercy reached down to me.  I didn't have to fight off my sins to reach God because I couldn't. I would never had been good enough.  It's not through me it's through Jesus.  In John 14:6 Jesus says he is the only way.  The only way the pinata illustration would work for me is if the stick were a cross and the idea is that it pierced heaven open bringing gifts to men.  The fight was the perfect sacrifice, the laying down of a life to bring me to God.  He was born to die and I need to step out of the way and just trust in Jesus to save me because I sure can't do it on my own. 

2 comments:

  1. Sae and I just read about this tradition recently in a book about Navidad (and we talked about how Joelle lived there). I thought it would be pretty awesome to have that kind of tradition....

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is fun that you can add to Sae's learning. I'm sure knowing "Joelle is living there" makes it even more real for her.

    ReplyDelete