Wednesday, December 8, 2010

The NOT so Itsy Bitsy Spider

Today I was in the library grading papers.  I had been grading for awhile so I decided to pack up my things and take a short break.  As I went to put my stuff in my bag their was a huge hairy spider right on top. The spider was around the size of one of those large garden spiders in the Midwest. 

I obviously didn't want it in my bag, but I didn't want it to kill me either.  Not knowing how poisnous this spiders venom was I wanted to be careful.  I had watched a show right before we came here and heard about this deadly Argentinian spider that is moving north in Bananas.  I managed to slide it out of my bag after a few tries with a folder.  Then quickly stepped on him. 

I got a klenex to pick him up, but one of the librarians took the spider from me to someone in the school that knows spiders and collects them.  At least that's what I think she said.  A little later I bumped into her and she said that she was told it was actually a young trantula! 

I had this little thought that maybe I shouldn't of squashed this spider if it were a trantula.  They are pretty amazing little creatures, but at the time I was in extreme defense mode and wanted whatever it was dead.  Now the NOT so itsy bitsy spider is no more. 

You can see the attack here!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_5rAuG46ss

1 comment:

  1. That was great...I would have FREAKED OUT!! I hate spiders!!

    ReplyDelete