Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Good is a Long Way from Great

As we prepare ourselves to move, much of our time is spent in getting rid of things that we have taken years to accumulate. Because of this, I often find myself thinking of things that I am loosing or letting go of as we make this transition. A theme park wrist band reminds me of a family vacation to Disney World, a playbill from Wicked and ticket to Alcatraz reminds me of the 8 days we spent together last summer in San Francisco. I find an old Marriott hotel key and I am reminded of the 300 nights I have spent in hotels as a sales rep the last 5 and a half years. While travel from work does at times become tedious it also comes with the company paid dinners, nights out with friends, and unique experiences. I find myself dwelling on all of these things; experiences which I think were good.

I actually found myself thinking about these things last Sunday morning while at church and while sitting there it hit me. Good is a long way from great. I have spent a lot of time enjoying the good things that life has provided me. There is nothing wrong with these good things. I count every one of these memories a gift from God. The problem is we get so caught up in the “good” things that we forget that God has in store for us great things. I haven’t always spent a lot of time allowing God to show me the great things he has in store for me, but when I have they make the good things look pretty trivial. God has been challenging me for days now not to look back and get caught up in the good things, but to be focused on the great things he desires to teach me and accomplish through me. I have a sneaky suspicion that I will eventually look back at my attachment to these things I considered good and laugh having truly discovered how far good is from great.

1 comment:

  1. enjoying following your journey and experiences. praise the Lord and praying for you all!

    ReplyDelete