Saturday, February 12, 2011

Blog for Dogs AKA (Dog on a Hot Tin Roof and American Sissy)


This is my one and only blog for the dogs.   Dogs are a big part of life here.  It is hard to find a family that doesn't have a dog and a house that that doesn't have two in the front yard.   I personally do not care for it a bit.   While some of these dogs are family pets, many of these dogs also offer a bit of protection as they bark menacingly at everyone who passes the gate (namely me).  There are also quite a few strays, which are always harmless, but they still scare me to death.   There are two interesting things about dogs here that makes the experience even more unique. 

First, because of the lack of lawns many people put there dogs on their roofs (as most roofs are flat).   This is quite a site (like above) at first, but you get used to it.   I do always wonder though, when these roofs spring a leak don't you have to worry a little bit about what is dripping into your house? 

Secondly, I think most of the men in our colonia think me to be quite a sissy.  Mexican pay no heed to dogs.   They scare me to death.  Below you will see what a normal walk looks like.  You simply walk down sidewalks right next to every gate.  You never know when a dog is going to jump up (below) from any gate.  It never phases the Mexican men.   I wish I could say the same.  Every time they catch me off guard I jump like a scaredy cat.   On more then one occassion I have seen a group of workers giggling at the gringo scared of dogs.    I am sure they are used to the American Sissy!






3 comments:

  1. Additional comment about dogs. A stray dog tried to join school today. It kept slipping by the security this morning as the students came into school. Luckly it was a friendly dog. I helped with the last (third) time getting it to play with a ball and coaxing it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol...i am SOOOO with you on this. i am TERRIFIED of dogs. good thing God hasn't called me to MX, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. this post is hilarious. and true.

    ReplyDelete