Saturday, November 6, 2010

What do you do?

We have been experiencing one of those situations where in the states handling it would be easy, but here is much more difficult. Our neighbors across the street have 4, luckily little dogs, that are very aggressive when let out. They do not put them on leashes and let them run freely through the cotto. The problem we have is that they are overly agressive with our children. They run right at them, surround them and begin barking. One even bit joy on the ankle 2 weeks ago. In the states, you would try to handle this in a civil manner. You would go over and talk to the neighbor and express your concern. Regretfully, our language skills, while growing, are not at the level where you could express yourself in a very respectful, loving, converstaional tone as you would need in this delicate situation. We speak in sentences still, not conversations. Of course, we could possibly get a bilingual neighbor, but then you create a hostile, multi-neighbor situation. We want to be sensitive.

Then this morning, Joelle was out petting our other neighbors 14 year old, floppy eared beagle, who adores children. While she is out doing this I hear the lady across the street let out their dogs. You always know as you can hear the annoying cacophany of yapping. Then the door bolts open and Edan has run in to escape them. Joelle is not so fortunate. I hear a hysterical scream, I run outside and Joelle is surrounded by several dogs yapping at her. I pick her up and begin to leave. At the same time, the neighbor across the street heard the scream and comes out to get her dogs. Do to my anger at that point, I just give her a look of frustration. This is not the first time this has happened. Anyone who knows me knows that I have a pretty intense look of frustration. No doubt my point is not lost on my neighbor.

I walk in and I immediately feel horrible. What do you do? On one hand, you have a little girl who keeps getting terrified by these horrible little rats, but on the other, I am hear to be a witness. I can only imagine the witness my glare conveyed. I am convinced one of these days that I am going to have to kick one of these rodents as they nip at Joelle which will only exasperate the situation. As a dad and witness, you are torn between the intense desire to defend your little girl when she is horrified and the knowledge that the truth of the kingdom of God is so much greater then the headaches of little dogs. At least it is for me, for Joelle I doubt this is so. Throw in the inability to have a real adult conversation and you have a constant tension as this issue has to be dealt with several times a week. What do you do?

2 comments:

  1. Poor Joelle!!! :( I cannot imagine the language barriers that you face on a daily basis. I know I would not handle them with the grace and patience you and Joy do. Which is why I will keep my feet firmly planted in the States (or a *very* English friendly speaking country). :)

    That being said, Joelle is scared to death of these dogs and her (and Edan's) enjoyment of their yard and neighborhood is threatened by these little beasts. You have every right to protect your family and make sure your kids don't get bitten. If your neighbors are just letting their dogs run around without a care, how certain can you be that they're up to date on their vaccinations? A "simple" dog bite could turn into something nasty and in need of medical attention. Y'know?

    If you don't feel confident in your language abilities to carry on a civil conversation with your neighbor, I think a nice and thorough note is a good idea. Use one of the English-to-Spanish programs on your computer and then have trusted co-workers proof it for you. Your kids shouldn't have to live in fear everytime they step out the door!

    And if it does indeed turn into a nasty situation, well, you are only going to be there for another 2 years! ;) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment! I didn't even realize it was up here. I'm not sure how I missed it. Things have gotten better with the "yappy dogs". The owner tries to keep them in when the kids are out and she tried to get the dogs use to the kids. If she hears them barking now she runs out to get them. It was definately frustrating at first though.

    ReplyDelete