Wednesday, March 2, 2011

The Art of Clarification

I'm learning a lot through teaching, especially second language english learners, and through learning a second language, the importance of Clarifying yourself. 

When I was in my Bible classes in college I already knew that I did not want to be one of those people that used big long Christian words because they now knew what they meant and felt so good about themselves using them.  I figured I wouldn't do anyone any good and probably turn more people away than anything else.  I decided to study for the test, but after the test I would purposely forget them.  It's easy to forget something and even easier to forget something when it's purposely done.  That has worked out really well for the most part.  I'm so glad I did that. 

Now teaching junior highers, some with little Bible background, and in their second language, it is even more important to keep it simple.  I find myself having to say things a different way, not just once but many times.  Then add a picture to go along with it and use a lot of gestures.  What I think is common sense, isn't to other people.  Especially when you are from different cultural backgounds and especially if you are a 12-15 years old. 

I remember a time I hired a young teenager for some gardening.   He was raising money for a bicycle.  I took him out to one of our garden beds and told him that he could weed that bed and I would pay him.  A couple hours later I came out only to find that not only did he get rid of the weeds he cut down all of the bulbs that just came up.  They hadn't flowered yet and he thought they were weeds.  I could give other examples of those types of things with kids and teens.  On top of being young teens these kids are using their second language.  I've already had my share of blunders trying to get around in a "second language" and thinking I understood, but was really way off. 

I've had even more desire for people to spell it out for me.  Just let me know exactly what my expectations are or what I should expect.  Just today I had a new Yellow Pages brought to me.  (Which I only learned a few months ago they existed.)  He asked me for the old copy.  I repeated in my poor Spanish to clarify.  Then went and got it.  Next, he was as clear as he could be,  "One tip" (teep).  I knew what he wanted and assummed that I was suppose to tip him, seeing you are suppose to tip for everything.  Some people only make money off the tips.  But he told me exactly what was expected of me.  I like that.

I have done notebooks with my students.  While I thought I told them what I expected from them, I clearly have not.  I remember a teacher I had in junior high and then in high school.  When she had us in junior high she was ridiculously strict.  She was really anal retentive about how she wanted her notebooks done.  Mrs. Tidball if you ever read this blog I understand!  I get it!  I really do!  Your were just teaching junior highers!  Back to these notebooks.  I have gotten such crazy things turned in to me.  I kept saying, if I teach again I would change this or that, especially the notebooks.  I have decided that I shouldn't wait until "if I teach again", but try it now.  It's not too late to make it so I don't want to burn every single "notebook" that is turned into me.  To re-clarify to my students again and maybe again and again how they will do the notebooks.  To keep practicing "the art of clarification", because we all need it some time or another.

No comments:

Post a Comment